Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Welcome to America! (English Version)


(Eu decidi postar tambem em ingles, assim meu namorado e outros amigos que falam ingles podem acompanhar tambem.

I decided to post also in English, so my boyfriend and other english-speakers friend can follow too. )

Howdy!


First of all, the keyboards here don't have accent marks, so I'll have to write with this strange way  until I find a way to do accents work here.


Anyway, let's get to business: my arrival in the land of Uncle Sam.However, this story wil only be complete if I start it in Brazil. Yes, for those who closely followed the steps I went through to arrive here, you know that the thing was teeense.From getting into the University of Alberta, to get the visa ... each of these things was a delivery. Maybe I tell them in time.


But everything went fast and without major damage, and the big day has arrived! I woke up relatively well, my stomach a bit messed up, but finally I was ready to go to America! (For those who don't know, I'll spend the month of November in Amarillo, my boyfriend's house, and go to Canada in December). I went down to the kitchen to make coffee, while my mother, who was trying to control the tears, said quickly that there was a strike at the airports, but no biggie. I preferred not to panic, and didn't give too much attention to the fact. However, I wonder how this strike would affect me, so I decided to get on the internet ....


48-HOUR STRIKE! You gotta be kidding me! Despite the news warn that the movement was calm in the airports, I knew that at night - at the time of my flight - things could be waaaay more complicated. I remember that a few days before when I had issues with the Visa, Vivi said I was like "Glad Cagator." If you seek a person who could illustrate how screw up Chell's life is, that person would be me.


Finally, after confirming with the airline that the flight was confirmed, I would have to arrive in Guarulhos sooner. At least that wasn't more messed up than it was before, simply because I had to get there before 5pm (where my flight was only at 10) because of the car rotation. I was about THREE HOURS in the check-in line, and they opened the check-in an hour earlier. All this because I had to swear that nobody had messed with my suitcase and stuff. Result: when I got out of the check-in, I had just less than an hour for boarding.Just enough time to take a snack and say goodbye to the family, and soon to follow security and immigration. By the way, in line with me was the male volleyball team. I'm gonna tell you guys, they giants! I had no courage to ask for autographs. A pity ... Anyway! I waited a little over 10 minutes and soon I was on the plane en route to the United States!


No kidding, this was the longest flight of my life. At least psychologically, because it was less than 10 hours flight, and when I went to Canada were 10 and a half hours and passed by very fast. Flying with United is cheaper, but has some annoying things, like the fact the dinner and breakfast aren't really that good. But they serve drinks almost all the time. In addition, we had turbulence all night. It was not just a shake here and there, but the kind that the pilot said to sit and fasten the belt in ALL OF THEM. And in at least four times he sent the crew to sit too, so you can have an idea how bad it wass.  I had "slept" the maximum I could, and still had 5 hours of flight. And that's because I still had another 7-hour trip after getting off that plane.


Well yeah, I didn't mentioned yet, but ended up choosing a path soooo messed up, because the simple facts of the cost 400 reais less. I went first to Chicago, where he would go through immigration and customs, to then go to Denver, and only after that arriving in Amarillo .


Yeah. Being poor is crappy.


Finally, the night had ended and the plane landed at O'Hare Airport, Chicago. I was just going through Immigration, and my two giant bags at customs, easy, no?Yeah. not easy, but neither had any problems. As I was going to Amarillo, which has nothing touristy and I would stay in the house of my "friend", I was afraid to screw up something. Not to mention that, despite being in panic, I was VERY happy to finally be in Chicago, so while I was in the immigration line, I watched a  motion in which it explains how to proceed in the immigration and customs, followed by a motion showing different types of Americans (the farmer, the cowboy, the family united, the executive, the football player, Mexican immigrants) and some tourist spots (with actually bear catching a salmon in a river), with a somewhat touching music ... the stupid here almost started to cry. I know, pathetic, but I had not slept right, I was worried .... Well, the immigration officer didn't give me too much trouble, and I had to pass inspection in customs, but they didn't opened my bag or anything like that.


Past all the tension ... Welcome to America! Finally I was officially in the United States. From there I went to where it should board to Denver ... And I stumbled upon a HUGE queue at security. It turns out that Americans are a bit traumatized, so you not only have to pass your hand luggage on the x-ray but you also have to take your shoes and ALL sweaters that you are using,  leaving of course the one over your underwear. Besides, you do not pass the in a metal detector, but in a body scanner where they can see if you bring something suspicious in the body. Yeah. Welcome to America.


Because of this, as soon as I went through security, it was almost time to leave for Denver. And I'd just step inside the plane the flight attendant took my hand luggage and told me to leave it along with other bags. Turns out, I do not know why, some luggage was being checked along with the other bags and I would only get it back in Amarillo. Happens that no one told me this, I was only asked to leave the bag out. Lucklily I asked what they would do with it, because I had left all my documents and the next flight ticket inside it. I took out my wallet, passport and the ticket, but still I had forgotten the  bags of the left-handed ... among other things.


Arriving in Denver, I decided to go on the balcony of the United see what had happened to my hand luggage. I showed that I was given a ticket, and the man asked me what was my final destination."Amarillo," I replied.
 "What?"
 "Amarillo"
 "I'm sorry, where?"
 "Erm ... Texas ...""Oooh ..." Emerilo'!!!"
This Brazilian accent that looks like Arabic is going to screw me, I can see it already ... Anyway, the guy checked in the system and.. no record! Aeee! I almost started crying. The guy was very helpful, called and asked someone to check if my bag would go to the flight to Amarillo, and then warned me that if if my bag doesn't come with me to seek the United so and forth.


 You guys can imagine how calm I was when I came to Amarillo, huh? And I came on a plane that was smaller than a Bus. Seriously, I think if it was 30 seats it was too much. But the trip was enjoyable, I could see the immensity of nothing that Texas is ... ok, has many farms, so it IS something ... And about an hour later I was running to my boyfriend's arms, and facing the treadmill for my bags. Fortunately, they all arrived safe. A curious fact: everyone knows that they open their bags, so I didn't put in my lock. But one of them came with a closed padlock I had left in the bag ... Maybe the guys thought I forgot ...? Anyway...


That's it .. Soon I will send news again, we will camp in the weekend ... I'm sure I will a lot to share with you guys.


Beijos!

No comments:

Post a Comment